Thursday, January 22, 2009

Inspiration, ahoy



When I look around me, the entire world seems to be bright and full of things that are worthy of notice. I think that creating art is a way of adding more interest to our lives, and design even more so. The way things are designed can effect the way that people see the world around them. The way we adorn ourselves, the way we decorate our rooms, the purchases we make, the books we read, the movies we watch...All of these things are impacted by design, whether or not we consciously realise it. 

That being said, I know that the point here is to highlight specifics that inspire us. To that end, my first choice is the introduction to the television show "Carnivale" seen here. The entire piece works together perfectly, from the colour to the graphics to the music and typography. The way the scene seamlessly fades from illustration to photograph and back again, and how space is used to make 2D images seem as though they have depth is simply amazing. 

A designer whom I admire is named Antonio Cerriteno, and part of why I admire him is his versatility of style while still having the same 'feel' to the pieces. The contrast between dark and light, the use of bold colours and designs, and the overall crisp feeling that he engenders makes me want to push my skills to where I can do things like that, and more.

Finally, a more traditional artist. I have followed her work and her life for many years now (thanks to the wonders of blogging), and she is walking inspiration. Not only do I enjoy her artwork, which is off beat and usually amusing, but as a person she is witty and focused and truly loves to create. She takes her ideas and applies them to life, whether it be the soap labels designed, the "Lol Wut" pear that now roams the internet, or the surprising outcome of becoming a childrens' author. Each piece of art has a story, a meaning, and often times there are amusing anecdotes for them all. Her vivacity just makes me want to create - whether it's design, painting, animation. An example of her work.



No comments:

Post a Comment