Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Design interests

Hey all, I am Andy and here’s some stuff that I think is cool about art and design. The first thing that I would have to mention is that I have always been a fan of art and have considered myself an artist. Art is a tool that I use to communicate my emotions and to better understand myself, but sometimes art has a lesser meaning to me. Sometime art is just better than no art. Sometimes I would just like to look at something interesting rather than something boring. In any case it’s an interest of mine. Design to me is a job, a job that involves my interests, and a job that will allow me to create and enjoy art every day. That being said here are some things that I consider interesting art/design works. Enjoy.


I’m often attracted to things that are surreal and sometimes a little dark. When something is beautiful and scary at the same time I feel entranced. I visit this site from time to time (http://depthcore.com ) because they always have some really cool work typical of this style. This was done by an artist named Craig Shields. http://depthcore.com/fetch.php?id=3963










































I also play video games. To me video games are like art that you get to play with. Design in video games is something to pay close attention to for people who want to design for the web because they teach us so much about how people interact with media. I’m likely going to be involved with interactive design once I’ve graduated so it also helps me justify hours of gaming :) This recent release implemented a nice design that flows well with the game play. This short video with Will Write, creator of Spore, explains what this game is about and why it's unique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXXuosvkkOc



Finally, I like new technology and I like to imagine the possibility of things yet to come. I like to think that someday I could be designing for some crazy new VR technology where I create environments that you can explore like the hollideck in Star Trek. New types of technology are always emerging and they inspire me to think differently about what is possible. Here is an article talking about the different types of Virtual 3D imaging that I found interesting. It’s a technology that I’ve been dreaming about since I was a kid, so I like to keep up on where things are at with this business

http://www.popsci.com.au/gear-amp-gadgets/article/2008-11/3d-technology


That’s all for now. Thanks for reading.

Andy




1 comment:

  1. Andy, two things...

    1. I'm Julie.

    2. I was really interested in your explanation/ideology of video games. Personally, I am not a gamer. I had a few days of Super Mario Brothers and Donkey Kong and therefore have always considered it a form of entertainment. Your perception has put video games into a new light and I am enlightened a little bit more. With that said, game on!

    ReplyDelete