Thursday, January 22, 2009

Fueling My Design Mojo

There are so many things going on in the world today that are immensely interactive and provide the necessary inspiration in my own design. For me, Design is the freedom to express myself to the world and interact with them directly.
As to what inspires me daily, I like any design that integrates or even hints at the human element and how that human side relates to it audience. This can be found in virtually all media that we see throughout history. The human form has always been so important in art and design. A designer that can relate to a viewing audience through the human experience, putting the viewer in the designers shoes, can pursuade any idea.
Picasso has always been one of my favorites. Picasso would have for sure been known as a "playa" today by all social measures. Picasso understood human relationships though and that always showed in his work. I love any visual media that is inspired by the Cubist movement and moves the viewer through time as well.


Photography has always been something that I enjoy. Pursuing a BFA has enabled me to express myself through the viewfinder of a camera. My favorite subjects to photograph are humans. The right image of the right moment in time can say so much about someone and that moment in time.

When it comes to successful design, the grid is so important. I think the best thing I did in my Typography class was the grid assignment final. I feel it was successful because the foundations were built on PHI and the "golden ration." The grid enables the designer to divide up space methodically and seamlessly, providing the structure for any piece to flow.















For years and years, I have enjoyed technology and the latest and greatest tech toys and all that. I am very interested in design that employs itself in rhythmic harmony with the world that surrounds us. The answers to the problems we are confronted with in design are all around us. We are the ones that must adapt, re-think and challenge what happens in design.



See you in class!!

No comments:

Post a Comment