Thursday, January 22, 2009

What Design is to Me


  1. When I was reading the first Potter reading I found myself skimming line after line of what personally draws me to design. Immediately, I was pleased with the simple definition of the word, “design”. It refers to design as “a conceived plan of something to be done”. To this, I say design is my life. Or more specifically, the life I have chosen for myself. I’m going through this “conceived” plan I like to call, “college”. This plan is intended to feed the desire to continually churn my creative sparks into something I’m not only proud of but aesthetically drawn to. Another piece of the reading I related to was the idea that design is merely influence by design; yet exists in its own world entirely. During my first semester at UCD, I struggled to decide what I was doing. I had it in my mind that I needed to have mastered a fine art in order to qualify to be a “digital designer”. Recently, I came to the conclusion that I was not an artist. I was a designer. This distinction between fine art and design boosts my confidence. Reading this from (what I consider) a much more reliable source than myself, seems to confirm that I have a chance of survival in the lifestyle I so badly want to find myself living. Finally, the portion of the reading that says design is, “ten percent inspiration and ninety percent fairly hard work” explains a personal kick I get from design. I try to work hard. When I do something I try to do it and do it right. Sometimes, I try to hard. But I like that I know design is about work because I know how to work.
  2. Link: http://www.collider.com.au/

“Collider was approached to brand a new Sydney based marketing strategy company called 3rdspace. The company works with corporate brands to create a 'plan of attack' for dynamic and unexpected marketing for their clients or products. A metaphorical image of a battlefield was conceived and used to alter the viewer’s field of vision between each piece of collateral making the identity as dynamic and changing as possible.”

I’m always intrigued by a design that can be simple enough to easily be arranged to create a subtle and equally effective composition. Although design allows for a large degree of simplicity, there is always a necessity for explanation. When I design, I want to create something similar to the 3rdspace example, something that captivates the eye and causes the mind to evaluate, and search, for the idea of the designer. However, I want that design to be compact and dynamic. What personally grabbed me about this particular design was that I did not necessarily pick-up on the battlefield concept but after reading the above explanation I could almost personally walk through the thought process the designers went through.

  1. Link: http://www.sans-concept.com/

This is an example of Eric Carl’s work, a graphic designer in LA. Album art is the ultimate form of design that got me into the field. I have an extensive iTunes Library and passion for music but I have never had any musical talent. I view music and design/art as companions in the search for the explanation of life; therefore I want to use my ability to design to enter into the unknown world of music. 

No comments:

Post a Comment