Thursday, January 22, 2009

Inspirations

I feel that my sources of inspiration for continuing my work originate from stories, specifically from three types of media that I feel have really been long lasting influences in my life.

The first being video games, simply put they not only are an amazing way to interact with the stories you are being told but in many cases create unique designs of their own. For example in this screen from the game Mirror's edge I identify the totalitarian feel of the colors used to sterilize the city and tell a story of oppression.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgPMDe7D2Pg&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khfhN0rKMkU

Films are another media in which stories continue to inspire my work. I've always felt that stories portrayed through film can inspire not only my love of amazingly told stories but that said story could also be put into motion. The second video from Dark Knight particularly struck me recently because of the Jokers monologue on chaos and order. This is pertinent because as a designer sometimes it feels as if I need to introduce chaos as apposed to an established ideal.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/grimm/archive.html

The Brothers Grimm: Fairy Tales has been one of my favorite collection of stories. These stories to me feel timeless, whether it be one story with moral codes or just a form of old storytelling for entertainment. Because of this I've always wanted to modernize the stories and hope to do so in a future project that ties the moral codes/storytelling into a design or motion piece dealing with relevant topics/issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment