Tuesday, March 31, 2009

BLOG 6: NOTHING ORIGINAL IN SIGHT!

1) We would like to think that in such an interconnected world that having open systems of information will lead to open design. But, having all this information so open and accessible limits how concise and what we design. Instead of having meaning and simplicity we have to shout to the audience for attention with a gimmick, shock, or over complicated design just to engage.
2) I don’t think new media presents a “new” direction for design, however I think new media provides a new way to present good design or design that has been done before. Like we have all seen time and time again, good screen based design is simply print design done on a computer. All the old tried and true methods, grids, color theory, patterns still are relevant and in practice with new media. Just look at http://www.us.playstation.com/ its all a grid of thirds.
3) I believe designers have already begun to do so, integrating the old with the new. As for giving design a new direction I don’t think I have not seen anything that has surprised me as completely new or unseen in my life. It seems I can always find something to reference it to or compare to. The integration of old and new yields great products though like this Kanye West Video that fuses live action with cartooning by keying out and overlaying color on the live video. Yet once again I’ve seen this done before…. Nothing original anymore…?
4) The next big thing huh…. Well as always we are trying to push computer graphics closer to reality. Check out this Interview about Image Metrics and see for yourself. Besides that Im not terribly sure. I notice a lot of rehashing of the past as always but I really do think with information at everyone’s fingertips vying for our attention we’re going to revert back to good meaningful design not just oversaturated bs. Until that day I’ll be happy to be paid to make that bs and hopefully try to create some meaningful work on my off time.

No comments:

Post a Comment