Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Blog 1: Things That Float My Boat

3 things that float my boat

A munny is a small blank figure made by kid robot that you can draw on and paint on and do what ever you want to. I like how it is a two-part design process; kid robot designed the shape of munny and did all the packaging and branding, and the consumer designs the rest of the munny - what he wants it to look like and what persona he wants it to take on. I have three different kinds of munny and took time and thought to decide what I wanted them to look like. I like having the power to be able to turn a blank canvas into something great that also reflects me as a person.

http://fc65.deviantart.com/fs41/i/2009/014/5/3/Mini_Munnys_Custom_by_vinyleschiles.jpg

Deviant Art is a website that is basically a ginormous online gallery of millions of people's art work. From paintings to sculpture to animations to poetry and everything in between. I have an account where I upload my art work, but I'm more into the idea of looking at other people's work rather than showing off my own. Using the browse function I can search for things that interest me and styles of art that I like. I can get lost in the site for hours, I will find one person who's art I like, I'll browse their gallery, then I'll look at their favorites and find similar things that I like and just jump from one artist to another and another... It is a real eye-opener to see the kinds of art that exist out there, there are some truly talented people about.

http://www.deviantart.com

Marvel comics just inspire me. The quality of the illustrations is always amazing. They can convey intense action or deep sorrow. Without even reading the words which go along with them you can tell exactly what is happening in the scene just by the feelings that are evoked through the illustrations. I'm still not too sure which direction I want to head in terms of a career, but every time I read a marvel comic and look at the pictures it makes me want to be an amazing illustrator with talents that match those of Greg Horn and Mark Brooks.

http://www.marvel.com/universe3zx/images/thumb/5/54/Iceman442px.jpg/440px-Iceman442px.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment